Cowes Methodist Church, Birmingham Road, Cowes
Initially named the Victoria Wesleyan Church, the church which opened in June 1901 and cost about £8000. An article of the time states that £1231 had been received in collections and subscriptions, £2000 for the sale of the old chapel, £2000 from the 20th Century Fund and £2770 still needed to be raised.
It was built to replace the Wesleyan chapel further down the street which was being vacated. It could seat 750 persons and had efficient schoolroom accommodation. The inscription stone states that the architects were C Bell, Withers and Meredith from London, famous for designing over 60 Wesleyan Methodist chapels and the builder was Mr HH Sherrin of London. A newspaper article of the time describes the style of architecture as ‘Gothic, freely treated, of red brick with Barb stone dressing’, the roof was ‘covered with permanent green slates’, and that nearly every brick in the structure was made on the Island. Wikipedia now describes the church as a, ‘red-brick and pale stone building in the Perpendicular Gothic Revival style with a "graceful" three-stage octagonal corner tower topped by a decorative parapet and a short spire’.
Please read more about the history of Cowes buildings with more illustrations on our page Cowes History.